One Month and a Few Breakthroughs
After being cooped up in the house for the first two weeks, albeit the trips out to the pediatrician and the lactation clinic, we have primarily holed up in the upstairs loft, away from the rest of the world. To put an end to our cabin fever and get our lives started as an active family, I am proud to say that Kent and I have made several “breakthroughs” and reached confidence building milestones that helped us reinforce our strength as a couple, parents, and as a family.





3/13/09 (week 3) – Kent and I went to the mall for the first time and strolled around with Ava and ate at the food court. We didn’t know people with strollers had to take the elevator and found a new baby “rite of passing” as we waited in line at the elevator with the other strollers to get to the food court. Ava did great and didn’t cry or fuss at all. It was wonderful.
3/16/09 (week 4) – I went to the new mom’s group at the hospital and left the house with Ava for the first time by myself. It was nerve wracking to load her in the car seat and drive with her alone, but she was a trooper and slept the whole way. At the new mom’s group (which lasted 2 hours), she did excellent and didn’t make a peep the entire time!
3/18/09 (week 4) – Kent’s mom flew into town the night before, so we went to the mall again to eat at the food court (my go-to place with Ava) and shopped around in a couple stores. It was nice to branch out and actually go INTO the stores this time!
3/19/09 (week 4) – Kent’s mom and I went to a local children’s store to buy a couple things. This trip was monumental as I had to breastfeed her in public for the first time (she had a mini meltdown because she was hungry) and I had to change her diaper in the first public bathroom. A half hour later, Ava was well fed, clean, and happily sleeping back in her car seat. Whewf!
3/25/09 (week 4) – For her last day in town, Kent’s mom and I met Kent for lunch at a McMennimen’s. Ava was crying the whole time and I felt everyone staring at us. We were “those people” with the crying baby interrupting their meals. Kent took Ava outside for a stroll to try and calm her and Nana Mo even took her for a quick walk outside to see if she would settle. She would not. Apparently, she was hungry. I had to breastfeed in public for the second time and did so successfully without passing out from embarrassment, getting kicked out of the restaurant, or dropping Ava on the floor…! I discreetly hid her under my “hooter hider” and no one really noticed. Double whewf!
3/29/09 (week 4) – Today was the best day we’ve had in a long time. Not only because Ava slept like an angel the night before (she slept for 3 hour stretches in between her night feedings) but because we ventured out into the public amongst the real world where Ava went to her very first baseball game at the Portland PGE Park. Since sports – watching and playing – is her Daddy’s favorite past time, we figured that she better get used to being toted around to various sporting events early on. Kent wants to be sure his little OSU Beaver is ready for Oregon State’s football season this fall!
We had to get an early start to get to the game on time, but it wasn’t too much of a stretch from what we normally do before leaving the house. We drove to the Max station to park and took the train to the Baseball Park where we met up with several of our friends. Ava was bundled up nice and warm with her pink sweat suit and hat and Kent toted her around in the baby carrier. She seemed really content the entire game and was pretty much sleeping the entire time. I got to put my modesty to the test (again) and breastfed her in public in the stands with my “hooter hider” on. Kent helped by burping her and taking her to the MEN’S bathroom to change her diaper. He said all the guys in the bathroom were avoiding eye contact and ignoring him as Ava was squirming and screaming on the changing table with her tooshy exposed and Daddy changing her diaper. This, people, is why I love the man. With the diaper change a success, Kent proceeded to go to the concession stand for a well deserved beer…! Overall, Ava slept for almost the entire time and sweetly (and quietly) enjoyed her very first baseball game…eight innings in all (it was mom and dad that wanted to leave before the ninth inning because it was getting too cold!). We had a great time and look forward to the summer and thirsty Thursday’s at PGE Park! Woohoo!


2/27/09 (week 1) - We took a stroll around the neighborhood to a nearby park. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it took A LOT of energy and effort to get dressed into normal clothes (I was in a perma-robe), bundle Ava, take out the stroller, and actually walk. Oliver enjoyed the walk too and it was a nice breath of fresh air we all desperately needed!





3/13/09 (week 3) – Kent and I went to the mall for the first time and strolled around with Ava and ate at the food court. We didn’t know people with strollers had to take the elevator and found a new baby “rite of passing” as we waited in line at the elevator with the other strollers to get to the food court. Ava did great and didn’t cry or fuss at all. It was wonderful.
3/16/09 (week 4) – I went to the new mom’s group at the hospital and left the house with Ava for the first time by myself. It was nerve wracking to load her in the car seat and drive with her alone, but she was a trooper and slept the whole way. At the new mom’s group (which lasted 2 hours), she did excellent and didn’t make a peep the entire time!
3/18/09 (week 4) – Kent’s mom flew into town the night before, so we went to the mall again to eat at the food court (my go-to place with Ava) and shopped around in a couple stores. It was nice to branch out and actually go INTO the stores this time!
3/19/09 (week 4) – Kent’s mom and I went to a local children’s store to buy a couple things. This trip was monumental as I had to breastfeed her in public for the first time (she had a mini meltdown because she was hungry) and I had to change her diaper in the first public bathroom. A half hour later, Ava was well fed, clean, and happily sleeping back in her car seat. Whewf!
3/25/09 (week 4) – For her last day in town, Kent’s mom and I met Kent for lunch at a McMennimen’s. Ava was crying the whole time and I felt everyone staring at us. We were “those people” with the crying baby interrupting their meals. Kent took Ava outside for a stroll to try and calm her and Nana Mo even took her for a quick walk outside to see if she would settle. She would not. Apparently, she was hungry. I had to breastfeed in public for the second time and did so successfully without passing out from embarrassment, getting kicked out of the restaurant, or dropping Ava on the floor…! I discreetly hid her under my “hooter hider” and no one really noticed. Double whewf!
3/29/09 (week 4) – Today was the best day we’ve had in a long time. Not only because Ava slept like an angel the night before (she slept for 3 hour stretches in between her night feedings) but because we ventured out into the public amongst the real world where Ava went to her very first baseball game at the Portland PGE Park. Since sports – watching and playing – is her Daddy’s favorite past time, we figured that she better get used to being toted around to various sporting events early on. Kent wants to be sure his little OSU Beaver is ready for Oregon State’s football season this fall!
We had to get an early start to get to the game on time, but it wasn’t too much of a stretch from what we normally do before leaving the house. We drove to the Max station to park and took the train to the Baseball Park where we met up with several of our friends. Ava was bundled up nice and warm with her pink sweat suit and hat and Kent toted her around in the baby carrier. She seemed really content the entire game and was pretty much sleeping the entire time. I got to put my modesty to the test (again) and breastfed her in public in the stands with my “hooter hider” on. Kent helped by burping her and taking her to the MEN’S bathroom to change her diaper. He said all the guys in the bathroom were avoiding eye contact and ignoring him as Ava was squirming and screaming on the changing table with her tooshy exposed and Daddy changing her diaper. This, people, is why I love the man. With the diaper change a success, Kent proceeded to go to the concession stand for a well deserved beer…! Overall, Ava slept for almost the entire time and sweetly (and quietly) enjoyed her very first baseball game…eight innings in all (it was mom and dad that wanted to leave before the ninth inning because it was getting too cold!). We had a great time and look forward to the summer and thirsty Thursday’s at PGE Park! Woohoo!

1 Comments:
Very nice photos and so very clear. Amazing quality...keep taking and sharing. I can see the makings of a tiny Beaver fan, but Gramps thinks Ava would look really nice in a Hawaii Warrior outfit~smile. I remember many years ago when Oregon State played Hawaii in the Aloha Bowl. It was a tough choice for Kent who sat on the OSU side of the field and Lia sat with me on the Hawaii side. The Warriors won that game. Then fast forwarding to last season, we went to Corvallis to cheer on the Warriors against the Beavers. It was a beautiful day just like the day at PGE park. The Beavers released their dam on the Warriors who drowned in the first quarter. Ava, on days like that, it's not bad to be a Beaver, just like your Dad. When you get older, you will be able to chose which side of the field to sit~wink...only for OSU vs UH games. All others, I'm a big Beaver fan and will wear my wood chuck cap to the game.
In closing on this beautiful Sunday, I must add that, "girls can throw baseballs too."
You go girls....
Lots of HOOAH and love,
Warrior Gramps
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home